Thursday, November 1, 2012

November is Academic Writing Month


I am in my second year as an assistant professor and I am learning that the academy awaits for no one. It is easy to get bogged down with teaching, grading, mentoring, committee work, service, and so much more. When I find myself feeling overwhelmed and rushing through the halls of academia, the first thing to get pushed aside is my writing. I love research and I love writing, but sometimes those two things are the first to go. I am assuming that this happens to many professors, which is why there is a need for Academic Writing Month. This is a movement, using #acwrimo on Twitter, designed at getting individuals to encourage and support each other into a month of high productivity. This is exactly what I need at a time where I feel as if I am being buried in grading and committee work. Today, I am completing the first two rules of this month by deciding on a goal and publicly declaring my goals. In the month of November, I will...

  1. Spend a minimum of 30 minutes writing every day except Saturday.
  2. I will complete and submit three manuscripts. 
  3. I will select a grant and begin developing the proposal.
  4. I will blog at least 2x a week.
It's time to get busy. Please leave words of encouragement or support. You can also consider joining me. 

“If you wait for inspiration to write; you’re not a writer, you’re a waiter.” – Dan Poynter

Follow me on Twitter (@DrMShavers) or Subscribe to my blog to see my progress. Thanks in advance for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment